In my courses, my aim is to support students in acquiring much-needed skills for the 21st-century learner, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data literacy skills. At the same time, I encourage students to learn from and with each other in a social arena. To that end, I follow a project-based learning approach where each student has to carry out a small project with and through technology (for example, using certain educational technologies, computational tools, or digital resources) following a design-implementation-evaluation iterative process. For each step of the process, students are encouraged to engage in discussions with peers, where they present their work and also review the work of colleagues. For teaching, I combine formal lectures for transferring information and hands-on workshops to foster communication and knowledge building on common ground. To conclude, I am dedicated to bridging the gap between theory and practice with respect to teaching and engaging learners in modern, technology-enhanced learning activities as a means for preparing 21st-century citizens for their future endeavors.
- Intelligent Learning Environments. Master course. University of Duisburg-Essen. Spring/Summer 2022.
- Introduction to Learning Analytics. Master course. University of Tartu, Fall 2018 until 2020. Sample Syllabus (PDF)
- Research in Educational Technology. Master course. University of Tartu, Fall/ Spring 2018 until 2019.
- Quantitative Research Methods. Doctoral course. University of Tartu, Fall 2020.
Seminars and Projects
- Hackathons and Maker-spaces as a blueprint for “re-inventing” Project-based Learning. Research Seminar. University of Duisburg-Essen, Fall/winter 2021.
- Analysis of participants interactions in a Hackathon context: the example of a Slack corpus. Praxis-project. University of Duisburg-Essen, Fall/winter 2021.
- Designing Personalized Feedback for Online Courses. Praxis-project. University of Duisburg-Essen, Spring/summer 2021.
- Doctoral students. Cleo Schulten (ongoing), Tiiu Leibur (ongoing), Liyanachchi Mahesha Harshani De Silva (ongoing), Eric Roldan Roa (ongoing).
- Master students. Eric Roldan Roa (2020), Ayaz Karimov (2021), Kārlis Caune (2020), Primla Williamson-Munroe (2020), Antonina Korepanova (2020), Sofiya Demchuk (2019),Ketevan Toria (2019), Joshua Schiefelbein (2019).
- Bachelor Students. Klouvas Dimitrios (2013), Chalkou Chara, Korovesis Alkis (2013), Katsini Chrisina (2012), Ntaflos Eleytherios (2012), Raptis Giorgos (2012).
- Internships. Victoria Liang (2017), Simon Su (2016), Junhan Kong (2016). – Summer Internship Program, HCII, Carnegie Mellon University